- Time consuming manual segmentation task of knee bones.
- Difficult segmentation of bones affected by typical pathologies.
- Need for human intervention all along the segmentation process.
- Difficult choice of the prosthesis shape before the surgery.
A semi automated tool for segmentation based on a statistical approach and a computer assisted segmentation tool based on geodesic radial basis functions:
- Fully automated solution for the standard cases (University of Basel).
- Manual segmentation refinement for patients with pathologies affecting the automatic process (HEIG-VD).
- 3D segmentation process to replace the current slice-by-slice manual approach.
- More precise segmentation of the articular bones.
- Reduced segmentation time (man-hours).
- Simplify the manual segmentation of complex cases.
- Improve the final segmentation.